Environmental Public Health Specialists are agents of the Missouri Department of Health. The Stoddard County EPHS is a Certified Environmental Health Specialist in the State of Missouri. The responsibilities of the EPHS include the following:
- Inspecting restaurants, taverns, schools, senior centers, retail food establishments, daycare & lodging establishments.
- Respond to questions about the private water supplies, sewage, rabies, indoor air, etc.
- Evaluate plans for septic system installations, site evaluations, & issue permits.
- Consult with homeowners & installers about septic options.
- Collect private water samples upon request. Two types of sample available: Bacteriological & General Chemistry (also known as New Well Series).
- Investigate complaints which may indicate a public health problems such as foodborne illness or sewage problems.
- Conduct food schools in which food safety & sanitation is taught to food service employees.
**Food Service Inspection results are open to the public.
**The Environmental Health Office has a variety of brochures available on the following subjects:
- Consumer Food Safety
- Cooking for Groups
- Hand Washing
- Septic System Maintenance